Chicken and Dumplings


I got this recipe from my mother-in-law and she got it from a family friend Cheryl. I don't know where it came from before that. If you've seen this recipe before let me know because I'd love to give them credit. Although I've made a few changes so I guess it's kind of mine now. I'll put the original recipe at the bottom. I threw the Bisquick box in there but for the recipe this time I did make the dumplings from the biscuit recipe. And I will show directions when that step comes.

Ingredients:
2-4 chicken breasts, cooked (like a lot of my recipes I like to cook mine in the crock pot and shred it)
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper to taste
2 Cans Cream of Chicken
3 Cans or 1 32 oz. container of Chicken Broth
1 Pkg Frozen Mixed Vegetables (you can use fresh but you'll have to let them simmer until soft)

Dumplings:
Baking Powder Biscuit Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook  pg 122
2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt
1/3 Cup Shortening
3/4 Cup Milk
*If you want a shortcut for the dumplings you can mix 2 cups of Bisquick and1/2 Cup Water instead*
 
First you're going to chop up half an onion and mince your garlic. If you're lazy like me you buy the garlic in the squeeze tube or jar and it makes your life a whole lot easier! Add onion and garlic with about 1/2 Tablespoon of oil into a deep pot with a lid.


Let the onions and garlic cook down until they're soft and translucent.

 

 Add the chicken broth, chicken, vegetables and cream of chicken and bring to a simmer


 While that's heating up make your dumplings. Mix the flour, salt and baking powder in a medium sized bowl.

 Add the 1/3 cup Crisco and cut in with a fork like you would a pie crust





Add 3/4 cup milk and stir, I usually end up using my hands to bring it all 
together after most of the milk is combined


Next you will pull off small rounded teaspoon sized pieces of the dough and roll it into a ball. You can make the dumplings as big or small as you'd like, we like them small enough to put a whole one in your mouth and not have to cut them in your bowl, but remember they will expand as they cook. 


 Drop them in as you make them and keep the heat up to a boil. As the dumpling expand the pot starts to get really full, it looks a little scary like there's nothing else in there but no worries they just float to the surface and push everything else to the bottom. If you want to half the dumpling recipe you can but we like a lot of dumplings so I just shove them all in the and give it a light stir trying to not break them up at all.

 Cook uncovered for 10 minutes then put the lid on and cook for another 10 minutes. Enjoy a very hot tasty comforting meal! It makes quite a bit, with our family of 5 we will definitely get another meal out of it.

 Original Recipe:
2-4 Chicken Breasts
Onion
Garlic
Salt and Pepper
2 Cans Cream of Chicken
2-3 Cans Chicken Broth
Celery
Carrots
Parsley

Dumplings: 2 Cups Bisquick   1/2 Cup Water

Brown chicken in oil. Add chopped onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Add chicken broth, carrots and celery. Simmer until veggies are softened. Add canned soup. Boil hard and add dumplings by rounded spoonfuls. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, cover and cook 10 minutes more.

Comments

Popular Posts