Flower Pot Gardening Cake

Happy birthday Mom!!

I used two 9 inch round chocolate cakes with chocolate butter-cream between the layers and colored white butter-cream on the outside.

I made this cake wanting to do as little fondant as I could. So it would have looked nicer covered in fondant but it was a cake for my mom and it can get annoying to peel fondant off your birthday cake when you don't want to eat it. I'm still learning when it comes to getting a perfectly smooth surface with butter-cream frosting. So just ignore the imperfections. I did blue on top and blended in some green on the bottom.

I made the pink flower ahead of time to allow it to dry. I used a Gerber Daisy cutter from Wilton. For the center I rolled a piece of fondant into a semi flattened ball and used a pointed tool to create little impressions. Then I dusted it with glitter. For the leaves of the pink flower I free hand cut them and allowed them to dry as well so they would stay curved and more lifelike.

I have an ivy leaf cutter I used for the ivy "growing" down the cake. I just swirled some green icing on the cake before placing the ivy down so it looked like a vine.

The shovel is completely made out of fondant. I free hand shaped it all so really no tricks to this one. I used a candy stick to connect the handle and the spade part. I used a teeny tiny bit of black Wilton gel with a lot of edible glitter to make the grey color. For the handle to make it look wooden I used a sharp tool to draw some lines along it to look like wood grain. Then I used a little brown and a little red Wilton gel with clear lemon extract to paint it on.

The fence is fondant that I free hand cut as well... so if you're wanting to recreate this I hope you feel comfortable free hand..ing? a lot of the work.

For the small flowers around the fence I used gum paste and a Wilton flower punch set. The centers are sprinkles.

The gloves are fondant that I cut out with a hand cookie cutter. Thankfully I had this already from a huge Wilton cookie cutter set I got for like $12 one year. I have used this set to death! Love it... I hand painted all the little flowers using Wilton food gel. Feel free to copy the same flower design I used or I'd love to see what you come up with on your own!

The flower pot is actually a silicon pot that my mom got for me at Easter. So when Easter comes around again look for them at Walmart. It came in a package of 9 with nasty cake and frosting to bake and decorate with.. just throw all that out and make your own. The little pots are so cute it's worth it. I filled the pot up with chocolate cake I crumbled. I got the leftover from leveling the cake.

All the grass and leaves around the base of the cake are piped on using Wilton leave and grass tips. They take a couple times to get the hang of it but it's definitely worth a try.

Last I piped on some clouds and a little bird. It was a fun cake to make in a short morning! I was trying to surprise her so I worked quickly.. :)

  

Comments

Popular Posts